This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, INC. and The Coca-Cola Company, all opinions are mine alone. #SummerRefreshment #Kroger #CollectiveBias.
It’s hard to believe that August is upon us ushering in the last days of the season. That’s why we’re revving up to squeeze out all of the summer fun we can before the first school bell rings.
During these long, lazy dog days, my kids spend most of their time finishing up their summer readers by the pool.
Since the scorching Texas sun can be particularly relentless, serving up a refreshing summer treat on hot days really makes mom look cool.
That’s why I headed off to my neighborhood Kroger to get a little inspiration to put my own spin on a unique summer favorite – grilled watermelon glazed with Minute Maid® Lemonade.
I know grilled watermelon might sound a little weird, but the grill caramelizes the melon’s sweetness and gives it a subtle, smoky flavor. We discovered that it pairs perfectly with a Minute Maid glaze, especially after adding a little spicy seasoning to the melon. You can easily serve it as a side dish or as a delicious summer dessert.
I found everything I needed for my summertime refreshment recipe at Kroger. They had large variety of ripe watermelons and I also got granulated sugar, limes for zesting, red pepper flakes, skewers and of course, Minute Maid.
I planned to not only use Minute Maid to glaze the melons, but to also pour it over ice and serve poolside.
The lemonade really compliments the taste of the grilled watermelon. Whereas my girls think the drink makes the perfect thirst quencher for their koozie holder while floating in the pool.
There’s nothing like a tall glass of Minute Maid made with the goodness of real lemons on a hot summer day. It beckons memories of my childhood summers, because Minute Maid is the quintessential refreshing beverage with a great taste that reminds me of a simpler time.
And if you like simple, then you’ll love this easy-to-make grilled watermelon recipe.
Best of all, participating Kroger stores turn this summer treat into a really hot deal with a special offer. When you buy any 2 Minute Maid or Sprite® 2 liters, you’ll save $1 off your watermelon purchase.
Minute Maid Glazed Grilled Watermelon
Makes 6 servings
What You Need
1 personal-sized watermelon (about 3 pounds)
1/2 cup Minute Maid Lemonade
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest (from 1 medium lime)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Lime wedges from zested lime, for serving
Mint for garnishing
Measuring cups and spoons
Gas or charcoal grill
- Prepare a grill: Heat an outdoor gas grill to high or prepare a charcoal grill for direct heat grilling.
- Cut the watermelon and splash it with Minute Made: Trim the ends off the watermelon. Stand the watermelon on one cut end, cut in half, then cut each half in half again. Cut the quarters into 1/2-inch-thick slices. You can then splash on Minute Maid Lemonade on top of the watermelon. It makes a nice glaze for the fruit.
- Season the watermelon: Combine the sugar, lime zest, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Sprinkle the watermelon slices on both sides with the sugar mixture, then rub the sugar mixture in to create an even coating.
- Skewer the watermelon: Insert skewer sticks from the rind up through the tip of the watermelon slice. The skewer is a great way to help keep the watermelon from falling apart while cooking.
- Grill the watermelon: Grill the watermelon until grill marks appear and the watermelon is warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve: Serve the grilled watermelon on its own with lime wedges or garnish it with fresh mint. If you want to get fancy, you can top it off with feta cheese or Greek yogurt, or as dessert with a scoop of ice cream.
- Leftovers: Grilled watermelon is best eaten immediately. It’s so yummy, you won’t have much left over anyway.
While you’re shopping at Kroger for Minute Maid or Sprite, be on the lookout for 2 litter toppers and tear pad with coupons for additional savings. You can also find other refreshing ideas for your next summer gathering here.